Tuesday, January 17, 2017

New Thing Every Day - Change in Post Format

Since sometime in middle school, I have kept a journal and have written in it most days. There are some extended stretches during which I did not write, but I probably have journals for the last 70% or so of the last 34 years (in a box in the . It is an awful lot of words that, most likely, nobody will ever, ever read (I offered to let Leigh read it when I am gone, but she declined because she said she does not want to read something upsetting and not be able to talk to me about it - fair point).

Anyway, a few years ago, I started making a daily list of at least 10 things that had happened or that I had thought in the previous 24 hours, instead of primarily writing less structured paragraphs. I still write aragraphs from time to time, but now I mostly write the list. This reduced the potential for beauty in the language -- which was pretty low, anyway -- but dramatically increased the number of things I mentioned. The process pushes me to really think about m day and record as many things about it as possible.

That leads me to today, and my "New Thing Every Day" project. From now on, I will write my daily blog posts in the same format as my journal, providing at least 10 things about each day's experience. Hopefully, this will provide a more complete experience for me and for whomever it is that actually reads this blog.

Here we go!

- sean

No comments:

Post a Comment