Thursday, January 19, 2017

New Thing 19, New Thing Every Day: Add Something Useful to Wikipedia

Here are my 10+ thoughts about adding something useful to Wikipedia.
  1. Since I am writing a biography of disability rights advocate Justin Dart, I decided to beef up his Wikipedia entry a bit.
  2. Justin Dart was basically the Martin Luther King, Jr. of the disability rights movement. He is often called the godfather of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
  3. Justin was the grandson of the founder of Walgreens.
  4. The cowboy hat was kind of his trademark.
  5. Justin is pictured here with his third and final wife - and his partner in advocacy - Yoshiko Dart.
  6. As an entrepreneur myself, I like that Justin started high-tech bowling alleys in Mexico, founded Tupperware in Japan, and built one of the largest greeting card companies in Asia.
  7. Adding to Justin's biography in Wikipedia took no time at all and there was nothing to qualify what I posted. As I understand it, it is up to the Wikipedia community to police what I wrote.
  8. Some years ago, I read somewhere that Wikipedia is slightly more reliable that the professionally edited Encyclopedia Britannica.
  9. To help ensure that what I posted lasts, the things I added were direct excerpts from Justin's New York Times obituary.
  10. My first addition to the post was about Justin's transition from Democrat to Republican to Democrat.
  11. My second addition was a quote from the President when he awarded Justin the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
  12. Yes, now that I know how easy it is to add to Wikipedia, I am probably going to do it a lot more.  : )

2 comments: