Friday, January 27, 2017

New Thing 27, New Thing Every Day: Review a Book on Amazon

I read a good bit and have ordered many, many books from Amazon over the years, but I have never written an online review. Here is my first.


Hillbilly Elegy is smart and real and true

Short version? Awesome book! You should buy it and read it this weekend.

The long version is that I grew up in Kentucky and I have met some of the people in this book, at least in spirit. It is smart and real and true. J.D. Vance tells his story and that of his family with love, beauty, and humor. It is a little tougher read than a novel -- with some statistics and hard-core popular history -- but it is definitely novel-ish, and just fun. Importantly, it is also insightful and can help us all understand poverty and even just humanity in the modern US a little better.

Read this book. You will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment