Thursday, January 12, 2017

New Thing 12, New Thing Every Day: Try Dragon Fruit

Probably my very favorite things to watch on TV are competitive cooking shows -- Chopped, Top Chef, etc. I love them! In fact, I never even knew I was a sports fan until I started watching Chopped. Oh, and note that I am not very interested in cooking shows that are not competitive -- I want the action AND the food, not just the food.

As a byproduct of watching these shows, I learn about all kinds of foods that I have never tried. And that is where my New Thing Every Day project comes in. Over the next year I will try all kinds of foods that I otherwise would not have. I'm pretty excited about it.

Today is my first new food, the dragon fruit. I had seen it in the store and watched it used in dishes on TV, but never tried it. So, yesterday, I bought one, and today I prepared it (after reading a bit on the Web). I will warn you, in case you plan to follow my lead, that a dragon fruit costs $6.00. That's right, $6.00 for one fairly small piece of fruit. For most of us, this is definitely not an every day ingredient.

My preparation was very simple (see the pictures).
  1. Cut it in half with a large kitchen knife. 
  2. Scoop out the fruit with a spoon (if the dragon fruit is ripe, this will be pretty easy).
  3. Chop up the two halves into cubes.
  4. Mix in a bowl with a little fresh lemon juice and agave nectar.
In the end, it was really tasty and I am glad I tried it -- kind of a cross between honeydew melon and kiwi (with the chewy black seeds throughout). Was it worth $6.00? As a first-time thing, sure; as an ongoing purchase, probably no.

If you have not had dragon fruit, I recommend giving it a try.

Have an awesome rest of your day!

- sean

View the Complete List of New Things

No comments:

Post a Comment