Friday, January 6, 2017

New Thing 5, New Thing Every Day: Fast for One Day

My entire sustenance for the day.
5:30 am
Since this is an all-day thing, I am starting my post at 6:46 a.m. and will periodically update throughout the day, kind of like progress reports.

At this point, I am already a little hungry, but that will go away.  I will drink water throughout the day, to be as healthy as possible about this whole thing. That should help, but I suspect I am going to get pretty hungry sometime around lunch time. Do milkshakes count as food?

9:20 am
Ugh. It is snowing and the temperature is in the teens, so I am stranded at home (darned legs that don't work very well!). There is just so much tasty food within feet of where I am sitting, this is going to be an even more challenging day than I had planned.

12:32 pm
It is a little after the time I would usually eat lunch and, yes, I am hungry. That said, it is not that big a deal, and I feel like that is partly because I have made the decision to not eat today. I feel like if I were expecting to eat, I would feel much hungrier than I do. It is a good reminder to me that so much of how we feel really is under our own control, at least to some extent.

2:11 pm
Really for the first time today, I am starting to get pretty hungry. Over the last few years, as I have been losing weight slowly but consistently, I have been conditioning myself to think of hunger as a good feeling, the feeling of weight loss. So it really is not so bad.

4:06 pm
For the last hour or so, my brain has been conjuring the taste of things I would really enjoy eating (and that are readily available in the kitchen, a few feet away). It is contributing to an interesting exercise in self control. All I have had today are cans of La Croix sparkling water; definitely looking forward to breakfast tomorrow.

4:51 pm
I keep forgetting that I am fasting and looking forward to dinner.

5:47 am (Friday)
The fast is over and I am getting ready for my day. I actually woke up with a splitting headache (which I never do), so I went straight to the kitchen and ate an apple, and the headache is already mostly gone.

Aside from the headache, fasting for the first time ever was a pretty good experience (no, Facebook friends, I did not have the Bailey's!). I don't want to make it a bigger deal than it was, but it made me think quite a bit, mostly about my relationship with food. Yes, food was on my mind for much of the day, but I saw even more clearly that I do not need it quite as much as I have often felt like I do. Food has often played an unhealthy role in my life, and I feel like some of its hold on me -- often not related to actual physical need -- is a little weaker.

That said, I am going to go have a little more breakfast!

- Sean Spence

View the Complete List

No comments:

Post a Comment