Wednesday, January 25, 2017

New Thing 25, New Thing Every Day: Make a Kiva.org Loan

Here are My 10+ Things About Making a Kiva.org Loan.
  1. Kiva.org is a website that allows people to make loans to people who need them, pretty much anywhere in the world.
  2. I had heard of the site, but had never visited it.
  3. In my own life, I do not believe in borrowing money and have been out of debt for a decade or so.
  4. On the other hand, I love the idea of loaning money to someone who needs it, with the idea that they will pay me back if they can (and it won't kill me if they can't).
  5. Kiva.org links hundreds of thousands of lenders to thousands of people who need the money to improve their lives.
  6. Apparently, 97% of the loans are repaid.
  7. You can donate as little as $25.00
  8. You can make all kinds of choices about your loan: which country, what kind of need, women-focused, etc.
  9. My step-son Clark was adopted from Honduras, so I decided to loan money to someone there.
  10. After reviewing a long list of possibilities, I donated $25.00 to a woman in Honduras so she could buy groceries to sell in her grocery store.
  11. I really like the idea of lending money who needs it to make more money to support her family and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment