Tuesday, January 17, 2017

New Thing 17, New Thing Every Day: Prepare a Pomegranate

Here are my 10+ things about preparing my first pomegranate.
1.    As a kid growing up in rural Kentucky, I never even heard about a pomegranate until sometime in my 20's.
2.    I am pretty sure I did not taste one until maybe in my 40's.
3.    As with so many exotic foods, I am pretty sure that I first saw one prepared and used as an ingredient on an episode of Top Chef.
4.    Pomegranates cot over $2.00/each. Wow!
5.    People tell me that a pomegranate is a super food, but I am not really sure what that is. Sounds good, though.
6.    For my New Thing Every Day project, I bought three pomegranates, in case I screwed one up.
7.    None of them got screwed up.
8.    Once you cut one open, a pomegranate is basically just a big ball of seeds encased in a tiny amount of fruit. They are buried in a pulp that looks a little like the white of an orange or grapefruit. Do not eat the pulp! It tastes like something that has gone really, really bad.
9.    Top Chef and Chopped have taught me two methods of getting the tasty seeds out of the fruit. One is to cut it in half and beat it with a wooden spoon, dislodging the seeds. That one worked pretty well for me. The other method is to cut off the top and then vertically down the sides, in sections,
until the seeds are exposed and can be removed. I failed miserably at this and ended up just ripping the whole fruit apart, which actually worked pretty well.
10.   Most of the seeds were a ruby red, but one of the three pomegranates had seeds that were gold. They tasted the same, like a drop of juicy sweetness.
11.   As the seeds go in the bowl, do your best to make sure pulp does not fall in, and remove every bit of it that you can. I can not emphasize how yucky the pulp is.
12.  Now I have to figure out what to do with a bowl of pomegranate seeds.


No comments:

Post a Comment