Sunday, January 15, 2017

New Thing 15, New Thing Every Day: Take an Academic Exam, Online

Did you know I am working toward my MBA? I'm not doing it in a hardcore way because I already have more than one job, but Columbia College has an excellent program that allows me to take just one class at a time, one every eight weeks, and I am on my third class with them. If I stick with it, I will earn my MBA in 2019. Yes, I am pretty excited about that.

Even though I have just started my third class, Finance 350, I really did take my first online exam today. The first two classes had projects and homework assignments, but no actual exams.

The exam was actually pretty stressful for me. On the one hand, I tend to be an excellent test taker -- a fact that got me through high school and college without doing most of what was expected of me -- but on the other hand, I am absolutely horrible at math. Like, I literally think I may have an undiagnosed learning disability. Unlike other kinds of information, it is very difficult for me to absorb and retain math, and I generally have to read things over and over to get them at all.

If you think I am exaggerating, you should know that it took me two tries to pass college statistics at MU -- my only college "math" class -- and that was with a cumulative D. That's right, I really do suck at anything math.

I am enjoying my Finance class, despite its difficulty, and I was sort of looking forward to my first exam. For that kind of test, they give you two hours and that is it. If the house burns down around you, you have just two hours. So that was a little intimidating, and I sequestered myself away where I could focus on the exam and nobody would bother me.

It really makes me empathize with people who are poor test takers, or just poor students. I am generally a fast test taker, and it took me over an hour and a half of the allotted two hours. And it was a hard two hours. In the end, I got a 92% and am very excited about that. I also learned valuable lessons from the process that will help me do better in the future. I look forward to the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment