Sunday, February 26, 2017

New Thing 57, New Thing Every Day: Read The Alchemist, by Paolo Coelho

I had never heard of The Alchemist, but in the last year or so I saw a 60 Minutes report about it being one of the best selling books of all time. I had never heard of it, or the author, so it intrigued me. I added it to my New Thing list without knowing very much about it, and it turns out to be an allegory about the meaning of life. I do not read a lot of books like that, but I really, really enjoyed it.

Below are several lessons I gleaned from the book. I really do not think reading them spoils the book at all, but if you are worried about that happening, definitely read further at your own risk.

Anyone who knows me will understand why the lessons of the book appeal to me.

10+ Lessons from The Alchemist, by Paolo Coelho.
  1. We all have a personal legend, the thing we are supposed to do with our lives.
  2. Every child knows his personal legend, but forgets it as he gets older.
  3. If you know your personal legend, the entire universe conspires to help you live it.
  4. People see the world in terms of what they would like to happen, not what actually happens.
  5. You can be the poor victim of a thief or an adventurer in search of treasure. Your choice.
  6. There is a language without words. Learn to understand it and you will understand the world.
  7. All things are one.
  8. Pay attention to omens.
  9. Beginner’s luck is real.
  10. Always know what you want.
  11. A blessing ignored becomes a curse.
  12. Courage is the quality most essential for understanding The Language of the World.
  13. One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.
  14. Listen to your heart. It knows all things, because it came from the Soul of the World, and it will one day return there.
  15. Before a dream is realized, the Soul of the World tests everything that was learned along the way.
  16. When you possess great treasures within you, and try to tell others of them, seldom are you believed.

No comments:

Post a Comment