Saturday, February 4, 2017

New Thing 35, New Thing Every Day -- Write a Letter to Myself, 30 Years in the Future

Here are 10+ things about Writing a Letter to Myself, 30 Years in the future.
  1. The letter was written over three days. 
  2. The letter is written to myself in 30 years because that is the day I have decided to officially retire. Yes, writing the letter made me think that through and make that decision.
  3. By retirement, I mean retirement from any title -- regional director, CEO, etc. -- I will still lots of projects, though.
  4. Sometimes I confused myself as I wrote, thinking of my self writing today, and reading in 30 years.
  5. My MS is not mentioned in the letter. I decided that it is just not important enough in my life.
  6. Should I share it with people? It could have gone either way, but I finally decided yes. As we know, I am a sharer.
  7. Writing the letter was totally fun and I think you should do it. The process really made me give some serious, structured thought to who I try to be.
  8. At one point, I considered writing about a bunch of the things I will have done by the time I hit 76 -- specific travel, business things, etc. -- but I decided against it. In a way, doing that felt liiting; my plan is for the next 30 years to exceed my wildest expectations.
  9. Of course, Leigh would have to figure prominently in a letter like this.
  10. When I read this letter in 30 years, I hope I smile and I hope it helps me keep moving forward and accomplishing things.

Here is the letter. What kinds of things would you want to say to yourself in 30 years?

Saturday, February 4, 2017
To be read Tuesday, November 27, 2046



Dear Future Sean,

Today, you are 76 years old. Good job! My hope is that you are planning a day surrounded by family and friends. It is also your retirement day, and the next day of the rest of your life. Do your best to make the most of it.

When you finish reading this letter, be sure to go give Leigh a hug and a kiss. Nothing you have done, nothing you have accomplished, would have been possible without her. However much time the two of you have – as you head toward your 40th anniversary, next year – recommit today to making the most of it. For the over 40 years that you have known her, she has made every day better. She is the best thing that has ever happened to you.

Part of me really wants to just ask you a bunch of questions, but you can’t answer, and I wouldn’t really want the answers, anyway. I would not want you to tell me the mistakes I am going to make, because then I would avoid them and not get the lessons.

So I guess what I will do is make some predictions and we will se how they turn out. Worst case scenario, making the predictions will help clarify where I want to be in 30 years, give me some things to shoot for, and maybe make it more likely that reality will meet ambition.

In 30 years, here are the things I want people to say about me.
·               Sean was awfully nice to me.
·               Sean made me feel valued.
·               Sean made me laugh.
·               Sean made the world a better place.
·               Sean failed plenty, but he always got back up.
·               I am really glad I invested in Sean’s projects. He made me a lot of money.
·               Sean really made a splash in this life.

Today, I look back over 46 years of life and there is very little that I miss. For good or bad, I just do not hold on to things. I move on, focusing on today and tomorrow, leaving yesterday behind. In 30 years, I think the short list of things I miss will include my dad (Mom will just be 108, so she will still be around); my grandmothers (never really knew my grandfathers); and a handful of family and friends who have passed. Really, that’s about it. There is not a single possession or job or anything else that I miss. I want to just keep moving forward.

You know this, but as a reminder, I would like to mention some of the key things that have gotten you through 76 years as one of the happiest people I know.
·               Nothing was ever as bad or as good as a lot of folks thought it would be.
·               Dating is the best way to move forward from a broken heart. Everything is like that. Always force yourself to move forward.
·               Every day, just do your best. Give it your all. That's plenty.
·               It is my responsibility to make myself happy.
·               More "we" and "ours"; less "I" and "Mine".
·               Set high goals and take happiness from the striving, regardless of result.
·               Time and experience have shaped how we emotionally respond; so we have the power to shape ourselves for good.
·               To accomplish big things, figure out the little steps and get started.
·               As long as I am alive, I am winning.
·               I don’t do regret.

With that, I think I am going to leave it. You have a big day ahead of you, and a big rest of your life. You got to where you are by keeping the looking back to a minimum, so this is enough for today. Enjoy your party. Enjoy what’s next. Be nice. Make the world better.

Sincerely,



Sean C. Spence (46 Years Old)

P.S.            Tell Leigh I said hi. I feel sure you will agree that she is the best thing that ever happened to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment