Thursday, May 4, 2017

New Thing 122, New Thing Every Day: Be a Health Advocate for Leigh

Really, the only reason this gets to be a New Thing is because the opportunity had not presented itself before. Here's the story...

Today, Leigh somehow hurt her knee and is in quite a bit of pain. She decided she needed to go to one of the local urgent care facilities and they needed to get an x-ray. Between the examination and getting to the x-ray, there was quite a bit of walking. Finally, as we made our way to the x-ray room, I said, "Should she really be walking such a long distance considering that the problem is with her knee and walking makes it worse?"

The nurse replied, "Uh..."

"Couldn't you get her a wheelchair?"

"Sure, if she asks for one."

"I only ask because it seems to me that someone in charge of her healthcare in this situation might think to do that sort of thing."

Snotty? Yes, and I do wish I had handled it with a little more aplomb. But Leigh got her wheelchair, so I will take it as a lesson learned and be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment