Tuesday, November 28, 2017

New Thing 327, New Thing Every Day: Accept a Job as General Manager of KOPN

Yep. I did it, and I am pretty excited about it.

Since my background is not running radio stations, some may wonder why this makes sense for me. If you think about it, though, the move makes perfect sense and is totally in line with my skills, experience, mission, and values. I am a builder of new programs, businesses, and organizations; I am a community volunteer; and I like to think of myself as someone who brings people together. These are the things I think KOPN needs right now.

KOPN is a wonderful example of community radio, and it is so much more than the actual station. There is a school of thought that community radio is about building a community organization that impacts and benefits the community in a wide range of ways. The station is the foundation, it is the heart, and it is just the beginning. There is much work to be done -- the best part, if you ask me -- and KOPN can play a central role in helping Columbia be what we all know it can be. KOPN can bring us together; it can expose us to new ideas, cultures, and ways of life; and it can channel our collective energies in ways that will benefit those who most need their community to come through for them..

Today is the first day in a new and incredible journey for me, for KOPN, and I hope for our entire community.

Please join us.

No comments:

Post a Comment