Friday, August 25, 2017

New Thing 234, New Thing Every Day: Buy Two Insurance Policies for One Situation

No, this did not make me happy; if anything, ut made me unhappy. Without going into too many details, let me say that I am helping with a large community event tomorrow that neds insurance. Over a week ago, I started dealing with a broker and everything seemed to be going well; there was no indication that there would be any trouble getting the policty. Finally, today arrived and I was told to bring a check and make sure the paperwork was signed and we would be all set. In the afternoon, I was asked for more information and signatures, and at 3:30, with an hour and a half until the deadline at 5:00, I still did not have a policy. If I did not get that policy, the event would be cancelled by the venue owner, who required it. Fifteen minutes later, the agent's assistant told me that she could not guarantee that we would be issued a policy.

Not having a policy would mean we would have to cancel the event, with less than 24-hours notice. So I called another broker and asked him to try to get a policy in just 75 minutes (keeping in mind that the other broker had had over a week and could nor guarantee it). I had a very stressful hour and fifteen minutes, but, in the end, the first broker e-mailed me the certificate, with just 16 minutes until the offices closed.

Of course, I called the other agent to let him know that we would not need a policty from him, but he had just secured it (in barely an hour, total). He had done what I asked, and was required to pay for the policy, so I obviously could not leave him in the lurch. Neither policy could be cancelled, so I paid for them both.

Yes, I learned important lessons. Yes, I am sufficiently insured.

No comments:

Post a Comment