Friday, March 24, 2017

New Thing 81, New Thing Every Day: Do a TEDx Talk

TED is an organization that hosts and sanctions incredible conferences where people give generally 8-12 minute speeches about important topics. If you do not know what a TEDx Talks are, here is a link -- https://www.ted.com/about/programs-initiatives/tedx-program

Here is a link to my talk --  https://youtu.be/RFR6vFIY0H4

Here are 10+ thoughts about the TEDx experience.
  1. So flattering to be asked. The whole process really was very cool, from beginning to end.
  2. This particular TEDx Talk was hosted by Battle High School in Mssouri.
  3. About half the speakers were students, and they were awesome.
  4. The other adults were pretty awesome, too.
  5. Dayna Steele, a professional speaker, came in from Texas just to participate, and gave a great talk.
  6. The whole TEDx process was kind of intense. I had to turn in a first draft months ago, and then a final draft several weeks later.  A big part of the reason for my participating was so I could get some experience with that kind of intense speaking program.
  7. We could not use notes.
  8. I had a PowerPoint presentation to accompany my talk, and used it as an outline to keep me on track. I relied on it a little too much and my talk would have been better if I would not have.
  9. My talk was entitled, "Everyone Has a Wheelchair Or, Three Things My Wheelchair has Taught Me About Being Happy and Living an Awesome Life ".
  10. The Columbia Public Schools culinary arts kids did such a great job with the food in the break room.
  11. One unexpected benefit of participating was that we made friends with Dayna Steele. She is very fun.
  12. A bunch of my local friends came to hear me give my speech. It really meant a lot to me.
  13. In addition to my local friends, college friends Katie Meyers and Kelly Seymour came in from St. Louis and Kansas City to see the speech. That was kind of overwhelming in its awesomeness and meant a great deal to me.
  14. Katie and Kelly also brought kids with them, which was cool (Katie brought Maddy and Kelly brought Caleb and Owen).

No comments:

Post a Comment