Thursday, March 9, 2017

New Thing 68, New Thing Every Day: Go One Full Week Without Using Profanity

Here are 10+ things related to going one full week without using profanity.

  1. I love profanity. Have for decades.
  2. Yes, I get the argument that use of profanity somehow shows an inability to use "better" or "smarter" words, but I have a better vocabulary than most and that argument does not seem right to me.
  3. There are no other words that convey the same meaning as a good F bomb.
  4. Going a week without using any profanity at all has changed me a bit, as any drastic activity will tend to do. I do feel much less need to curse now, and it does not feel as right to me as it used to. 
  5. Profanity does not feel less smart or educated, but it does feel harsher, and a key goal of mine is to soften harshness in the world, so I suppose I should make not cursing more of a lifestyle choice.
  6. My dad cursed a lot when I was younger, and mostly stopped when I was around 12. That was weird.
  7. My favorite word still starts with an F, but I am going to try to mostly retire it.
  8. My mother -- a PhD raised in a Christian home, with excellent values -- always said the s*** was her favorite word, even when I was, like, five.
  9. When I married Leigh, she seldom cursed at all. I kind of ruined her.
  10. Yes, it was much easier for me to reach my no-cursing goal since I was staying with my mom for a week and I basically never curse in front of her.
  11. That said, my best cursing story (yes, I have one) is about cursing in front of my mother and making her happy. You should ask me about it sometime.

1 comment: