Monday, March 6, 2017

New Thing 65, New Thing Every Day: Gather a Few Items to Remember My Stepfather

My stepfather is an interesting man -- accomplished, well traveled, well read, philanthropic, and just a good guy. It is a shame that I did not get to know him better over the eight years he and my mother have been married (following a late-in-life whirlwind romance), and now there will not be a chance to remedy that (a good reminder for us all, if we pay attention).

I am not a big "stuff" guy. From my dad, I have a chess board, some photos, and a few other small nicknacks with little real value. The same is true for others I have lost, and I do not hold on to many of my own things with much sentimentality (just my wedding ring, an engraved key chain my wife gave me, and a few other little things).

As a remembrance of my stepfather, Sam Wurtzel, I asked his kids for two items, and they added a third to the list. The items I chose were a watch of his I liked -- nothing fancy, and I suspect it cost between $100 and $200 -- and a cap that I am sure had absolutely no special meaning to him. In both cases, these are things I use in my day-to-day life and my thought is that I will give them their intended use, and remember Sam a bit when I do. The item the kids offered me is basically the same -- something I will actually use and that will remind me of Sam each time I do -- a cigar humidor that he used at least on a weekly basis. I smoke maybe six cigars a year, and Sam's humidor will be used and given a place of honor in my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment