Wednesday, June 28, 2017

New Thing 176, New Thing Every Day: Eat a Cricket Snack

More and more, I am seeing crickets as part of one food or another (twice on my beloved Shark Tank!). Several times, I have said to myself that I would try something made with crickets at some point, and today I got my chance. Leigh and I were just bopping around at the Ferry Building market in San Francisco, with lots of gourmet restaurants and fun shops, and we found a place with Don Bucito "Tasty Edible Insect Snacks". I grabbed a bag of Chili-Lime Crickets with Pumpkin Seeds (obviously meant to serve the same general snacking purpose as potato chips).

Now, some cricket-filled foods mask the cricket to look like corn chips or an energy bar or whatever. That is not the case here. What I ate today were basically handfuls of dried crickets, coated in chili-lime, paired with pumpkin seeds. There was basically no way to convince myself I was eating anything other than crickets. And it was just fine. Do I crave them now? No. But they were just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment